Monday, December 19, 2011

More from my "Cemetery Series"

One of the easiest things to find  on FamilySearch.org is death records. Of course, I've done most of my research in Ohio, and FamilySearch has indexed a lot of Ohio stuff. Several years ago I wanted to find a baby girl who died in the Youngstown, Ohio area about 1920. I looked at a site online that had an Ohio death records index for specific years. I found one entry that was a "maybe", but it gave so little information that I had to send for the record (and pay the money) to get a copy. It turned out to be the right person, and I was very happy.

BUT! Just a few days ago I typed  that same name into FamilySearch.org and her name came up with a copy of the birth certificate attached. We've come along way, baby, in just 5 years!

  Another name that popped up on FamilySearch after hunting for many years was Laura Louisa Brown, (from the post on Thursday, December 8, 2011: You just have to keep trying. . . fame.) I put her mother's maiden name and father's name in and came up with  Louise Galbreath, which turned out to be the death certificate for Laura Louisa Brown in Nashville, Tennessee. Can you believe it—I was at that moment IN Nashville, staying with my eldest son and daughter-in-law, so hubby and I went right over to the Springhill Cemetery named on the death certificate.



Who would have thought that the very day I discovered where Laura Louisa was buried, I would  be  within shouting distance of the place?

P.S. Springhill is one of the cemeteries that has not yet computerized their records. The lady in the office had to go look in her big book to find where Laura was buried, then write it down on a map of the cemetery and drive us over to the spot. It's a good thing she did, too, because there were no markers on Laura's or her husband's plot. So we just gazed reverently at the grassy spot where (I hope) they were buried.




No comments:

Post a Comment